Thursday, February 09, 2006

One Last Final Last Game

Nope, not the Pro Bowl.  Very few people watch the Pro Bowl.  I am talking about the last JH Basketball game.  We are going to the small town of Hunt this evening.  This has been a pretty good year.  I have coached some really good basketball players.  I hope they always enjoy basketball and play as long as they can.  
Tennis is up next.  I get the privilege of returning the Regional champ boy’s doubles team.  This will be good.  Both are quicker and stronger than they were last year.  This year, mixed doubles is being implemented.  I think this will go well and we can get someone to state.  I am also coaching tennis is JH.  I really love track, but this is where I am needed.  It also allows me to coordinate what I want these JH kids to know by the time they get to HS.
There are lots of things going on in the spring, and it is busy and hectic, but it is lots of fun.  Some pressure, but not too much.  If the guys don’t make it back to state, there may be a problem.  The most pressure is in the classroom.  TAKS retests are later this month and the real deal for the Juniors is in April.  I think that most of these kids will do just fine.  I think of it as padding my resume sometimes.  I work hard to make sure that I do a good job in the classroom.  That is the primary goal of any educator, to make sure the kids learn what they need to learn.  As much as I love science, I sure am glad I am a coach.  I couldn’t stand to be cooped up in that classroom all day.  A man’s got to breathe.  I don’t think I could ever give up coaching.  If you told me you would pay me one million dollars to just be a classroom teacher, I don’t think I could do it.  Coaches are some of the most influential adults in a kid’s life.
Adam just put his employment profile on THSCA.com  I think he is one of the most employable people out there.  He will make a good whatever he wants to be.  For kid’s sake, I hope he is a coach.

No comments: